There will be a presentation for parents on the details of the pilot on Open House night in the MPR at 5:30 p.m. Hope to see you then!
The staff at LFMS is excited to announce that beginning 4th quarter, we will be adopting a new schedule that we are piloting for possible implementation next year.
We are modeling our pilot after a research based system that is already occurring at many of our district middle schools in similar forms. Teachers and other staff members, as well as parents from LFMS have been to visit the program at another site to see how it works. Those schools that have implemented the program are seeing great success in academic performance, student confidence, and opportunities for students to choose new learning experiences.
The purpose of the new schedule is twofold:
- To make H.E.R.O. time more effective and helpful to your kids.
- To unify the students on campus through one lunch.
Changes for 4th quarter:
- We are moving H.E.R.O. to after 4th period and renaming it B.E.A.R. time (Be Engaged And Responsible).
- H.E.R.O. still applies to our PBIS program (Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports).
- Every teacher on campus will have a B.E.A.R. period every day. Our curricular departments will work together to create targeted instruction and extended learning opportunities for all students. This will allow students, if they need assistance, to have guaranteed access to all of their teachers within the school day.
- There will be one lunch for all students after B.E.A.R. time each day, which will allow 6th graders to now participate in ASB and other spirit activities with the entire school community.
- Lunch lines, lunch seating areas, and lunchtime blacktop courts will be designated by grade level for organization purposes, and supervision at lunch will be increased for extra coverage.
- Currently, the majority of CUSD middle schools operate with one lunch for all students.